Re: The stupidest design I ever saw

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 5 Apr 2006 18:54:39 -0700

Mikito Harakiri wrote:
> JOG wrote:
> > Andy Dingley wrote:

> > > No, the real world is graph structured. Tress are just a limited special
> > > case of graphs.
> > >
> > > Another advantage of RDF over XML's data model!
> >
> > you are joking right?
>
> Andy's posting history doesn't leave any doubt that he is serious.
> Anyway, the link to RDF turned out to be informative. Here is what I
> found:
>
> <rdf:RDF
> xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
> xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#"
> xml:base="http://example.org/schemas/vehicles">
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:ID="MotorVehicle">
> <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:ID="PassengerVehicle">
> <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>
> <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#MotorVehicle"/>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:ID="Truck">
> <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>
> <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#MotorVehicle"/>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:ID="Van">
> <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>
> <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#MotorVehicle"/>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:ID="MiniVan">
> <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>
> <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Van"/>
> <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#PassengerVehicle"/>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> </rdf:RDF>

Don't you just love the way that xml is human readable and self-describing.

> The folks who wrote this apparently have no idea that graph is defined
> by the set of nodes and edges between them. They wrap their naive
> understanding what the graph is into XML cludgy syntax and claim it to
> be a superior solution. To what problem may I ask?

I believe the problem was that semantic network research had finally come to a sticky end in the AI field, so its proponents had to find a new home for their nonsense. It seems that with RDF they have indeed solved this... Received on Thu Apr 06 2006 - 03:54:39 CEST

Original text of this message