Re: Interesting article: In the Beginning: An RDBMS history

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 14:46:00 +0300

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:GX_Wf.201803$sa3.143853_at_pd7tw1no...

> Also read somewhere that nowhere does it mention 'relations'. Is > anybody able to confirm this?
I don't know about the standard but the working drafts are full of "relationships" :-)

>>5WD-02-Foundation-2003-09:

a)4.14.4 *Relationships* between tables

b)The next Subclauses recursively define the notion of known *functional dependency*. This is a ternary *relationship* between a table and two sets of columns of that table. This relationship expresses that a functional dependency in the table is known to the SQL-implementation.

c)24.3 Implied feature *relationships* of SQL/Foundation

d) 670 The following Language Opportunity has been noted: Severity: Minor Technical

Reference: P11, SQL/Schemata, Clause 5, "Information Schema"

Note at: None.

Source: DBL:LGW-152/X3H2-97-352 (also DBL:LGW-023/X3H2-97-044, SEQ# 409, USA-105) Many "information discovery" products depend upon full text searches of document databases

to feed the indexing mechanisms used in their search engines. It is very difficult to extend

this technique to "structured" *relational* databases especially if ...

>>5WD-01-Framework-2003-09:

 In other cases, certain SQL objects cannot exist unless some other SQL object exists, even though there is no

inclusion *relationship*. For example, SQL does not permit an assertion to exist if some table referenced by the

assertion does not exist.

>>5WD-11-Schemata-2003-09:

The DIRECT_SUPERTABLES base table contains one row for each direct subtable-supertable *relationship*.

The DIRECT_SUPERTYPES base table contains one row for each direct subtype-supertype *relationship*.

>>5WD-10-OLB-2003-09:
JDBC provides a complete, low-level SQL interface from Java to *relational* databases.

>>5WD-14-XML-2003-09:
XML elements are a kind of types. Tables as specified in this paper in the *relational* world are

mapped to these elements and do not have a named type in the *relational* domain. We are of

the opinion that this should be preserved in the mapping and lead to anonymous complex types

in the generated XML Schema. Received on Mon Apr 03 2006 - 13:46:00 CEST

Original text of this message