From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Apr 2006 11:35:38 -0800

> > ... Not only should the function work for data entered
> > prior to writing the function but also for new data
> > entered after the function is written.
>
> Does (shared-initialize) do the job? See HyperSpec for more.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not familiar with "(shared-initialize)", so I can't say for sure, however the central issue is related to starting off with a general enough schema prior to entering data and writing a general enough function such that they don't need to be modified later to incorporate new things and relations. I have demonstrated several times in the past (in c.d.t.) that while RM is an excellent tool (for nut sizes 1-10) it is more susceptible to schema changes, data migration overhead and code/query rewrites for some non-mainstream/AI-type cases (ie nut size 12.34).

If someone knows how to address the above issue using "(shared-initialize)" and apply it to the hierarchy example, could they post it? Received on Sat Apr 01 2006 - 21:35:38 CEST

Original text of this message