Logical data design, Pick style

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2006 17:24:46 -0800

I'll be back in the office next week Tuesday, but while I'm online I thought I'd toss out a question. I've done a little work on the following question, but have more to do and thought others might be interested in jumping in on this one:

If you don't do logical data modeling relational model style, using 1NF, then how do you model the data?

  1. Entity-relationship models or the analogous UML diagrams are good for identifying and communicating conceptual data models. The topic of conceptual modeling is bigger than this, but the focus of this question is the "logical data model" or "implementation data model."
  2. Take the conceptual model and look for strong entities -- those that exist independent of other entities. Model those as files.
  3. Identify unique keys for these files.
  4. Identify some high level types for these files, including the old designations of master files, transaction/event files, and code files.
  5. Decide whether you will pour all code files together or use one code file for typical abbreviation-description tables (see a previous discussion on this topic a few months ago).
  6. Add in all properties for these entities as attributes/fields in these files.
  7. Add in foreign keys where appropriate as well as the redundant "return links"
  8. Look for functional dependencies and put it into Boyce-Codd normal form sans 1NF.

I have a lot of other notes, but this should be good enough for a discussion starter, I hope. Your thoughts? --dawn

P.S. Blog is at http://www.tincat-group.com/mewsings, latest entry is on MV NULLs. Received on Thu Mar 30 2006 - 03:24:46 CEST

Original text of this message