Re: Philosophical banter

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Mar 2006 21:58:32 -0800

paul c wrote:
> HungryLion wrote:
> > research.microsoft.com/users/lamport/pubs/future-of-computing.pdf
> >
> > "The Future of Computing: Logic or Biology"
>
> Based on what I've seen from them before, I suppose they're about to
> patent the future. Based on what they've written before, maybe I don't
> need to read it.

I will neither support nor contradict your opinion of Microsoft. But it would be a mistake to discount something someone wrote just because they work there. If Leslie Lamport had retired in 2001 instead of joining Microsoft research, he would still be one of the most influential computer scientists ever. Although, admittedly, the majority of his doctorates have been awarded since then.

He appears twice in Wikipedia's Most Influential Papers in CS page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_publications_in_computer_science

Citeseer statistics show him as the 13th most cited author in the field of computer science:
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/mostcited.html

Marshall Received on Tue Mar 28 2006 - 23:58:32 CST