Re: More on lists and sets

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Mar 2006 12:36:33 -0800

David Cressey wrote:
> "Brian Selzer" <brian_at_selzer-software.com> wrote in message
>
> > If a tuple with a list is deleted, the contents of the list is also
> deleted,
> > possibly snuffing out the only instance of that list in the database.
> This
> > may not be a problem in most cases, but wasn't this same scenario one of
> the
> > arguments for further normalization?
>
> Is this the same thing as what Dawn called the "ripple delete" in her blog?

No, I don't think that is what he meant. This is more like the fact that if you remove the car with ID = 12345 and there is an attribute of "model" in that table, then the model value will be gone when the car is gone. Similarly, as Brian indicated, if this car has a list of add-on features associated with it (for example) and that is implemented as a list attribute on this car, the list value will go away if the car is deleted. --dawn Received on Mon Mar 27 2006 - 22:36:33 CEST

Original text of this message