Re: More on lists and sets

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:35:15 +0300

"Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1143426260.988651.277030_at_e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

> Interestingly, I never hear anyone talk about lists of product
> types. Why is that? (Guess: OOP is hogging the conversation
> as usual.) It seems to me that lists of product types would be
> almost as much more useful than lists of scalar types as
> sets of product types are more useful than sets of scalar
> types. So let's think of lists as being lists of product types.

They are called arrays maybe ?

> (Roughly, a total order is one in which there are no ties-- every
> distinct element is either strictly less than or strictly greater than
> every other element. In a partial order, two element may compare
> the same, even if they are not the same element.)

A partial order is when picking any two elements from a set, they may or may not be comparable.
You are talking about equality vs. equivalence. I know that equality, equivalence and ordering are related somehow. Received on Mon Mar 27 2006 - 11:35:15 CEST

Original text of this message