Re: Date, Darwen, Pascal and the alternative to Nulls in the RM

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 22 Mar 2006 20:09:57 -0800

Paul Mansour wrote:
> Assume one accepts, as I do, the argument against nulls put forward by
> Date et al. Would it be fair to say that at this point in time they
> really don't have a solution to missing information?
> anything better. Am I wrong here?
[huge snip of interesting stuff]

They propose a system that decomposes all relations down to irreducible tuples (hence eradicating nulls). The horrendous joins and consequential problems this might leave are handled by their closed source "transrelational model (tm)" in a manner which currently eludes my recall. As far as I know this system is yet to see the light of day. Received on Thu Mar 23 2006 - 05:09:57 CET

Original text of this message