Re: MV Keys

From: jason.glumidge_at_gmail.com <Jason.Glumidge_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Mar 2006 07:52:25 -0800

vc wrote:
> Brian Selzer wrote:
> [...]
> > "x is 2" is a sentence; "y is 3" is a sentence.
> > "x is 2 and y is 3" is also a sentence.
>
> You are confused. "x is 2" is not a sentence in the contex of FOL.
> It's a predicate with a free variable which will become a sentence if
> you substitute a constant for x.

I am a bit confused too then :(

"There is a person whose age is 45" is a valid sentence, and that looks identical to "x is 2" to me. "There is a whatever" I read implicitly and x is a column-name just as 'age' is (not a variable). So overall it reads as "There is an item whose attribute 'x' is of value '2'".

That is a valid sentence even if it is a bit abstract, no? Received on Wed Mar 08 2006 - 16:52:25 CET

Original text of this message