Re: MV Keys

From: Jon Heggland <heggland_at_idi.ntnu.no>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:25:57 +0100

In article <440cb7e8$0$11062$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl>, mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org says...
> Jon Heggland wrote:
> > dcressey says...
> >>An alternative example would be:
> >>Is (onions, mushrooms) equal to (mushrooms, onions)?
> >>I bleieve I've aske this question several times.
> >
> > I think the answer is obvious: It is whatever we define it to be. We
> > just have to make the decision at some point.
>
> This is like choosing the right or the left side of the road.
> You don't. You may choose the country where you are going to
> drive, but that's it.

I don't get this analogy at all. If I have a pizza database, and for some reason want to model "toppings" as a single attribute, I will use a list if I (or the pizza place I'm making it for) want the topping order to matter, and a set if I don't. Where does the national government enter into it?

Or are you quibbling about the specific notation (parenthesis, commas) that was used in the example?

--
Jon