Re: Data Model

From: B Faux <nospam_at_nospam.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 22:42:39 GMT

Matthew-

Please forgive the naivety, but you say you're working for the government... you apparently have not discovered that the last thing you want to do is actually *fix* anything. Best case is go for job preservation and move up the food chain so you can dump your crap on the next junior that comes along.

So much for the free advice...

> My decision to go with a DB is stated above. To further elaborate, I'm
> big on flexibility, maintainability, and scalability. I've seen and
> inherited in the past some microsoft access applications that were
> designed with "Tunnel Vision". By tunnel vision I mean just solving a
> very specific problem without thinking about future changes or
> modifications, and when things got out of hand it got dumped on me.

IMHO, if you don't expect to run query's against it, you don't need a DB.

Look at Wiki's

Peter Theony's is pretty good: www.Twiki.org - loads fast, runs good, has version control, update control (to keep judge #1 away from judge #2's stuff) and can be loaded on M$ servers as well as *nix servers.

Doesn't cost a thing to use, as long as you don't sell anything...government and all.

Just an idea...

BFaux ;-) Received on Mon Mar 06 2006 - 23:42:39 CET

Original text of this message