Re: circular relationships ok?

From: David Portas <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org>
Date: 4 Mar 2006 14:37:03 -0800

Alexandr Savinov wrote:

> Notice that it has nothing to do with constraints imposed on data and
> implementing cycles indirectly. We still can impose any constraints just
> as in RM. The only difference is that we avoid cycles in referencing.

This is indeed the difference. In RM, foreign key references ARE constraints. There is no other type of reference in the model. Cyclical references are not implemented "indirectly" - In RM they are direct and explicit and are required for reasons of integrity. You still have the same cycles in constraints but you call them "indirect" for some reason.

--
David Portas