Re: Data Model

From: <matthewdavis1980_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Mar 2006 18:18:05 -0800

Carl,

Excellent questions!

>May two staff members have the same name ?
Of course
>May two staff members have the same phone number ?
No - but open for debate
>May two staff members have the same email?
Nope
>What identifies a staff member ? Social Security Number, State
Employment ID ?
Anything you want, but in this case a staff member is more a position. I think I could have worded that better.

>May a staff member not have a phone ? e.g. waiting for a phone to be
installed or not yet known.
Some will never get phone numbers.
>Same for question for staff email.
Some will never get email.

>May a staff member exist that is not assigned to a judge ?
Nope, back to the position thing. You can't have a position without a judge/court to serve.

>May a staff member be shared between two judges ?
Technically no, politically, anything goes :)

>What are the attributes for Judges - do they have a name ? Phone ?
email ?
Judges have name and "court" phone number.

>When a Judge is no longer active (retires or not re-elected) , what
happens to the staff ? Are they all assigned to the replacement Judge ?
Position ( staff ) is assigned to court, once again, I should have set this up a little better.

>Do you need a history of what staff members worked for what judge.
Senario: Assistant Clerk is promoted to Clerk and is assigned to a new

Judge. Do you need to know when they stopped working for the old judge

?
No, just who is working the current position is all that is relevant.

>Is there a concept of Courts ? see
http://www.justex.net/civil/civilcrt/civil.htm Bingo, on that page, each court is assigned a number, which is in front of the judge name.
For example, Judge Mark Davidson serves the 11th court.

>Are the Court Types ? Civil, Criminal, Family ...
Yes. Better language for court types is open.

>Are staff assigned to Courts or to Judges ?
Courts, one last time, I could have described the scenario better :)

Carl, these are excellent questions. I appreciate your thought process. Received on Sat Mar 04 2006 - 03:18:05 CET

Original text of this message