Re: MV Keys

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 00:02:29 +0100

Marshall Spight wrote:
> mAsterdam wrote:
>

>>Aside (the example surely illustrates your point)
>>could this removeAt operation possibly be useful
>>in a concurrent environment?

> For sure.

I don't (yet? :-) see how it can be useful etc. by itself. A little namechange to emphasize the multi-somethingness:

OurSharedList.removeAt(index) has more serious sharing problems than, say:
OurSharedList.removeItem(item)

ISTM the index loses its meaning when I'm not in sole control of the list.

Hmm... OurSharedList.insertafter(hopefullyexisting item, new item)

>>You'ld never know which item you are going to scratch -
>>somebody else could have just done myList.removeAt(2).

> Absolutely. Multi-user or even just multi-thread use introduces
> a host of (annoying) concurrency issues.

I wanted to get you interested, not annoyed ;-) Received on Sat Mar 04 2006 - 00:02:29 CET

Original text of this message