Re: MV Keys

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Mar 2006 21:43:40 -0800

dawn wrote:

> I'm catching up, but I don't think this is what Codd meant by the
> phrase "repeating group." We used to use "repeating group" to refer to
> data defined with an OCCURS clause in COBOL, for example.

Since I'm a languages geek, I can maybe understand what you mean if you use terminology based on such languages as C, C++, Java, Fortran, Ratfor, SML, Haskell, Lisp, Scheme, Prolog, Eiffel, Erlang, Icon, Python, Ruby, Smalltalk, C#, BASIC, Clean, Nice, Scala, Sawzall, Javascript, Mercury, Sather, Oz, OOK*, Turing machines, or the lambda calculus.

COBOL, not so much.

What, may I ask, is an OCCURS clause?

Marshall