Re: Attribution for modeling data with relations

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:37:06 GMT

dawn wrote:
> Jan Hidders wrote:
>

>> dawn wrote:
>>
>>> [...] when I re-read
>>> Nelson's 1965 paper while scanning it in* I saw that he uses
>>> "relational terminology" and the term "relational terminology"
>>> (page 2-8), even if just giving a hint of it.
>>
>> He's talking about the subscript notation. It has nothing to do
>> with representing data with relations.

> I'll buy that. The tuple looks rather like a relation, however.

?? A tuple that looks like a relation?

> Is that subscript notation referred to as relational whether applied
> to a relation or not?

It is a notation that is particular for this paper and not something that is generally used or has a general name. He only calls it relational because it expresses the following of some kind of binary relationship, actually more like a foreign key relationship.