Re: MV Keys

From: Brian Selzer <>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:35:06 GMT

"x" <> wrote in message news:du6h9v$8g4$
> "Brian Selzer" <> wrote in message
>> Then there's no difference between a varchar and an int. Both are lists
>> whose elements (under most circumstances) do not belong to the universe
>> of
>> discourse, and in both cases it is the permutations of those elements
>> that
>> do.
> One could choose to represent int with *sets* instead of lists. :-)
> For example as a pair of sets with cardinals p,q for the number p-q.

Possibly. One can also choose to believe politicians--or used car salesmen, for that matter. By the way, wouldn't the cardinals above be ints? Aren't you representing an int with an int?

>> I think there's a fundamental difference between a varchar or an int and
> an
>> abstract data type whose elements do belong to the universe.
> There is a difference between the stuff and the representation of the
> stuff.

There is a difference between stuff and structure. Isn't an ADT essentially what we would call a data structure outside of the OO paradigm? Maybe I should give the glossary maintainer a definition for scalar:

Scalar value, synonymous with atomic value: a value that cannot be resolved into components which are also part of the universe of discourse. Received on Thu Mar 02 2006 - 13:35:06 CET

Original text of this message