Re: XQuery (and XML) vs LISP

From: vc <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2006 11:38:46 -0800

Jan Hidders wrote:
> vc wrote:
> > Jan Hidders wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I knew that the DBMSs you mention use a locking protocol from the ARIES
> > > family, but I thought it was one of the more general ones,
> >
> > What 'more general' protocol do you have in mind exactly?
>
> The basice ARIES protocol, as he describes it on his VLDB 1999 sheets
> on page 4:
>
> http://www.almaden.ibm.com/u/mohan/vldb99_aries_slides.pdf
>
> ( For those who are interested, there is a very extensive description
> in TODS: http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=128770 )
>
> He mentions the more specific ones on page 5. I'm still curious which
> of those are actually used in which DBMS.

Ah, ok, the ARIES family consists roughly of two parts: 1. WAL (write-ahead transaction logging) and 2. key-range locking. (1) is vital, (2) is nice to have . All the major commercial databases have some form of (1). Oracle, for example, has (1) but does not use (2) at the expense of not having the ' true' SERIALIZABLE isolation.