Attribution for modeling data with relations

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2006 09:04:35 -0800

I had thought that Codd was the first to model data using relations or at least to write about it, but when I re-read Nelson's 1965 paper while scanning it in* I saw that he uses "relational terminology" and the term "relational terminology" (page 2-8), even if just giving a hint of it.

Does anyone know to whom should we attribute the modeling of data with relations?
Thanks. --dawn

  • A pdf of the 1965 Nelson GIRLS, Generalized Information Retrieval & Language System paper, a historic document in the history of PICK, is available by following the link to the GIRLS Papers from tincat-group.com/mewsings/2006/02/list-of-girls.html