Re: Key attributes with list values was Re: What are the differences ...KEY

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 05:43:12 GMT

If an entity has more than one candidate key, and if successive database states contain elements that are identical except for the value of only one of those candidate keys, do those elements represent the same entity?

Are you implying that temporal constraints are irrelevant?

I submit that it is not possible to enforce a temporal constraint in a relational database without tossing the concept of relational assignment unless at least one candidate key will remain constant during an update and unless the database implicitly knows which one.