Re: Key attributes with list values was Re: What are the differences ...KEY

From: Brian Selzer <>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:56:29 GMT

By revealing an attribute that reflects the identity of a proposition with respect to all other propositions in the database. For lack of a better term, I'll call it an identity attribute. I dislike the term "surrogate" because that implies the existence of an entity, and there is a subtle difference between a surrogate and an identity attribute. A surrogate value indicates that a distinct entity exists; an identity attribute value indicates that a proposition became known by the database. Regardless of the semantics, revealing or adding an additional immutable key is the only mechanism that allows a constraint that involves more than one database state to be enforced by the database.