Re: Declarative constraints in practical terms

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:52:22 +0200

"David Cressey" <dcressey_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:y0EMf.7424$UN1.5544_at_trndny08...

> Is a FORTRAN statement a statement?

There are people that say this:

max([M],M).
max([H|T],M):-max(T,M),H<M.
max([H|T],H):-max(T,N), H>=N.

is more declarative than this:

max([],M,M).
max([H|T],M,R):-H<M, max(T,M,R).
max([H|T],M,R):-H>=M, max(T,H,R).

I don't know why but I think it has something to do with the fact that in some PROLOG implementations the inequality tests are not allowed on unbouded variables. Received on Mon Feb 27 2006 - 08:52:22 CST