Re: MV Keys (was: Key attributes with list values)

From: Mark Johnson <102334.12_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:30:54 -0800

"Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>David Cressey wrote:
>> "mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote

>> > If I change the order of the items in the list,
>> > does that make it a new key? I would think so. (See below)

>> In other words, an onion and mushroom pizza is different from a mushroom and
>> onion pizza.

>> Here we go again.

>Ha ha!

Indeed. And whether one described a suspect as having a white hat and green pants, or alternatively green pants and a white hat, is simply to state an identity and nothing more. But it depends on whether the 'entity' is intrinsically ordered, which is what you are attempting to preserve in any database. If the 'entity' becomes the callout or order, itself, if the order needs to recorded for the drivers, and the clerk accidentally wrote, "onion mushroom and pizza", the delay in clarifying whether that meant one pizza or two, if he thought to do so, might be significant.

Others here just suggested the example that XML need not be properly ordered. But what order it represents, if that were the case, and wherever such is placed in the tree or any subtree, must be accounted, and would be useful as that - thing - retrieved only in that order. Others have insisted, that in various thread, this is all you ever meant to say! But I didn't agree with their defense. To do otherwise, and at the very least, you have something else, or something of no or limited value at all. If you have to piece together jumbled paragraphs in your morning paper, if the order doesn't matter, you may not consider that a benefit or reason for continued subscription. A jumbled poem may be said to be just a 'little different' from the poem as written. One might say they see no real difference, which I think you yourself said in one case. But I think such is not right. Received on Mon Feb 27 2006 - 01:30:54 CET

Original text of this message