Re: Declarative constraints in practical terms

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2006 16:02:56 -0800

David Cressey wrote:
> "Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote
>
> > One can consider CREATE TABLE to be an insert into a
> > system table, although I know some people really don't like
> > that idea. (Were you one of them? I vaguely remember.)
>
> I consider the insert into the system table to be a side effect,
> documenting the principal action, which is the creation of the table
> itself.

It seems like an arbitrary distinction whether the new row in the system table, or the new table itself, is the primary change. Either way is consistent. I prefer the first, because it makes ddl simply a DSL over the system tables. I like reducing moving parts. But the other approach is perfectly valid. Some plusses and minuses either way.

Marshall Received on Mon Feb 27 2006 - 01:02:56 CET

Original text of this message