Re: Declarative constraints in practical terms

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2006 13:02:42 -0800

Bob Hairgrove wrote:

> The next release of the C++ standard is supposed to address most of
> these issues, e.g.:
> - threads
> - gc
> - regex
> - XML
> Of course, it will take the major vendors a while to implement
> everything...as usual!

Sure. C++ has done an amazing job of absorbing new things; it's a great success story as far as that goes.

> What do you mean by "first class functions"?

This is a pretty good explanation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_class_function

> This is because C++ has to remain compatible with C in key areas.
> However, that will eventually be superceded as well, IMHO.

Sure. Given its design parameters (compatibility with C) it's an amazing accomplishment. I'm sort of moving in a different direction, though. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what C++ has to offer, *especially* in the area of metaprogramming and generics.

Marshall Received on Sun Feb 26 2006 - 22:02:42 CET

Original text of this message