Re: Declarative constraints in practical terms

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2006 12:16:04 -0800

Bob Hairgrove wrote:

> I don't see why you see C++ as "the downside"? ;) But I really don't
> want this thread to degenerate into a Java vs. C++ advocacy war ... we
> drift enough here as it is!

I used C++ for about ten years, and Java for close to that. Both of those languages have excellent features, and I was a strong advocate for each in turn. I'm less of an advocate now.

C++ lacks a module system, first class functions, sum types, and pattern matching. It lacks concurrency primitives, garbage collection, and, grievously, any kind of relation type. :-) Worst of all, it lacks any kind of safety guarantees.

In the above, there are some features that could be added as libraries, but there are also some that can't, and there are some that ought to be part of the language proper.

C++ has pointers and .h files, and #define. The metaprogramming language is completely unrelated to the regular language; it doesn't even use the same programming paradigm.

OTOH, C++ has what seems to be the most powerful metaprogramming facilities ever. And it dominates software development, with only Java as a serious rival.

Good points, bad points. Like everything else.

http://www.deftcode.com/archives/every_language_war_ever.html

Marshall Received on Sun Feb 26 2006 - 21:16:04 CET

Original text of this message