Re: The horse race

From: Mark Johnson <102334.12_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:53:35 -0800

"JOG" <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:

>Tony Andrews wrote:

>Marshall, along with everyone else,
>has consistently said that one can apply a mathematical ordering upon
>an underlying set of elements

No, you're misrepresenting those threadlets. It got to the point where he defended his opinion by saying that it literally didn't matter what the order might be, regardless of logical reprsentation, storage order, or anything else. I pointed out example after example, from the US Presidents, to the start and finish order in a horse race, to these very words and sentences in these messages. He had claimed that a poem could be read indifferently in any stanza order. The idea was not that one could store ordered information in some unordered way, and not that the information need even seem meaningful to someone, but that it's use and meaning was intrinsically bound to its proper order. That was what made the - entity, the thing. The poem in any other order, was simply not that poem, but another entity, something else.

>I can only recommend for your own sanity you don't try and engage in
>intelligent discourse with someone when there is none to be had

And yet I patiently reply to your personal attacks, nonetheless. Perhaps you think I'm unintelligent for trying to keep the record straight, as they say? Received on Sat Feb 25 2006 - 22:53:35 CST