Re: The horse race

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 23 Feb 2006 16:09:53 -0800

mAsterdam wrote:
> Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> > Marshall Spight wrote:
>
> >>*Some* information is unordered. The earlier example of the three
> >>physical dimensions was pretty good. If I have a box, 3' by 2' by 1',
> >>which of those dimensions comes first? Or are you going to
> >>claim that my 3x2x1 box is a different size than your 1x2x3 box?
> >

> > Bad example. Yes, I would claim that they are different. I
> > handle box orders. A 4x6x8 box is different from an 8x6x4 box.
> > (Which sides have the flaps is relevant in packing.)
>
> I bet your column names aren't x, y and z :-)

I would avoid this example guys as it centres around the subtle distinction between a mathematical relation and a db-relation. In the former ordering of elements within the tuple does matter (Gene's case) and in the latter it does not due to column names (Marshall's case). i.e. you're both right from a different foundational assumption. Received on Fri Feb 24 2006 - 01:09:53 CET

Original text of this message