Re: Relational Lattice, what is it good for?

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 23:37:04 GMT

Mikito Harakiri wrote:

> For the record, I never really understood Banchilhon&Spyratos method
> (and their followers). How can view update method be agnostic of the
> particular databases model where it is appiled (that is the Relational
> Model)?

A concrete method cannot, but you can reason at an abstract level about the desirable properties of such a method and what the consequences of that are such Georg Gottlob, Paolo Paolini and Roberto Zicari do in their paper. It adds to the understanding of what actually the problem is that you should solve, and why there are different solutions with different properties that might or might not be what you want.

Btw. Francois Bancilhon, who also founded O2 technologies, is now chief executive officer of Mandriva.

  • Jan Hidders