Re: How are OO databases doing

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:36:38 +0100

Arturo Hernandez schrieb:
> I share your opinion on network databases. If we look at the problem
> from a broader perpective. Development on the client is still done with
> OO langages. And for developers like me it is still a pain not to have
> an integrated technology. So why the disconect? Why did OO databases
> fail?
They dumb the database down to a storage system. If that's what you want, fine. But as soon as you use more than simple hierarchical retrievals, you need ERM and SQL. Then it becomes easier to use a normal sql database and flatten out the object model. Also, quite often the end user isn't really interested in theobject per se, but in certain properties (name, weight, etc.). With ERM you won't have to go through the object but can retrieve the desired results right away.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Thu Feb 16 2006 - 15:36:38 CET

Original text of this message