Re: How are OO databases doing

From: Alexandr Savinov <spam_at_conceptoriented.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:12:53 +0100

Alfredo Novoa schrieb:
> Arturo,
>

>> OO langages. And for developers like me it is still a pain not to have
>> an integrated technology. So why the disconect?

> The solution is to leverage application development languages to
> support relational features, and not to return to primitive data models
> that match better with current OO languages.
>
> M$ is doing the first thing (although rather clumsily IMO) with LINQ
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/future/linq/

This direction is very similar to the concept-oriented approach to data querying. In both cases the idea is that the programming language and the query language should be integrated. For example, the following "loop" statement

NewCollection = FOREACH(item IN MyCollection; item.price < 100) {

   RETURN(item.name, item.price);
}

is equivalent to SQL SELECT. However, it is a part of the source code and it is the task of the compiler how to optimize this statement. In more complex and more interesting cases nested "loops" can be used as well as the operators of projection and de-projection.

--
http://conceptoriented.com