Re: How are OO databases doing

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Feb 2006 19:14:08 -0800

dawn wrote:

> Would the web be more effective, efficient, useful... if it worked with
> a relational model?

Well, which web are you asking about? If you asking about the web in which we have annotated documents with images and attributed text and hyperlinks (the web that is actually doing what it is designed to do) then I would say, maybe, maybe not. This web is pretty much just FTP+troff+hyperlinks, reimplemented.

If you are asking about the web that everyone is building applications on, including distributed data management apps, the one where you have to do a full page reload (or else painful javascript hacks) to refresh even a single item on the page; the one where you can only initiate data transfer in one direction, the one that everyone's building UIs with even though it lacks what would have been considered a basic UI widget set in 1985, or basic font support or even the ability
to draw a line, the one that lacks any kind of type system, schema, semantics, integrity enforcement, query language, update language, then I would say ... well I think you've already figured out what I'd say.

<homer>
Stupid webapps.
</homer>

Marshall, who builds web apps for a living. Received on Thu Feb 16 2006 - 04:14:08 CET

Original text of this message