Re: Multi Valued Interface Models?

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 14 Feb 2006 06:22:45 -0800

I'm starting to believe that Marshall is right and this is all just far too abstract - the terms "data model" and "representation" are just so semantically redundant that perhaps this discussion will just inevitably remain at cross-purposes. However x's MVC example has served to highlight this:

Dawn wrote:
> x wrote:

>> All the data in a MVC is in the Model part of it.

> No, it isn't. It has to cross from the Model part into that interface
> between the software and the user called the View. That View has a
> logical model of the data associated with it.

Okay, I understand your point even if I don't like the terminology - the View in MVC must clearly have a way of structuring its data, after being passed it from the MVC's model module. Traditionally this might be some form of OO or an ad hoc variable storage - but why on earth do you think that it could absolutely not be the RM sitting there in the internals of the View module?

Perhaps considering an example mathematically might illuminate matters. In MV:

"The Person with name(x) has email(y) and email(z)"

obviously holds identical information as the 1NF propositions:

"The Person with name(x) has email(y)"
"The Person with name(x) has email(z)"

So whether it uses non-1NF or 1NF the "view" holds _exactly_ the same information (as in it is mathematically identical). Are you denying this dawn?

If not, all it takes is the refresh function to make two calls to the view's internal storage instead of one. This might be less efficient but it certainly isn't invalid or impossible, which appears to be your blog's standpoint.

All best, Jim. Received on Tue Feb 14 2006 - 15:22:45 CET

Original text of this message