Re: Multi Valued Interface Models?

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 01:07:23 GMT

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, no, my argument is that it is not possible to employ the RM as the
> data model for a general user interface. Surely you can use the RM to
> persist data that makes its way to a UI, but you cannot use the RM as
> the data model of the interface to the user. You need an understanding
> of what a data model is (e.g. from my blog entry The Naked Model).
> Then separate yourself from thinking about the data model for the
> database (that is the model of the interface to the database) and focus
> on the data model of the interface to the user. It simply is not
> possible for the RM to be the data model for that interface.

Not possible, or not useful?

It seems to me that for every unnormalized schema of relations, there exists an normalized schema that can convey the same information. I think that's what Codd said.

It seems to me that for any possible set of information requirments, there exists a (possibly unnormalized) schema of relations that can convey that information. I know you claimed to the contrary regarding a model to back a web page, but I have yet to be convinced of that.

If you put the above two together, it seems one has to conclude that there does not exist a set of information requirements that cannot be conveyed by a normalized schema of relations. Whether that's the right way to go or not is an entirely different matter. Received on Sun Feb 12 2006 - 02:07:23 CET

Original text of this message