Re: Multi Valued Interface Models?

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:21:02 +0200

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1139520675.770994.71440_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

> Marshall Spight wrote:
> > dawn wrote:
> > > ... separate yourself from thinking about the data model for the
> > > database (that is the model of the interface to the database) and
focus
> > > on the data model of the interface to the user. It simply is not
> > > possible for the RM to be the data model for that interface.
> >
> > Can you say why? I read your blog posts, and I didn't see any
> > justification
> > for this statement. Your example UI model wasn't very enlightening,
> > either.

> I thought I said why. If you take an implementation of the RM into a
> language, such as SQL (or some perfect version thereof), you cannot
> have a view of data in that language that is the data interface of this
> UI.

When someone is designing a relational/sql database for something among other things he/she is designing a schema not just a single SQL VIEW. I thought you knew that because I told you that before.

> While you can unnormalize data for SQL views in other ways, you
> cannot get them out of 1NF. An arbitrary user interface is not a 1NF
> view. This does not mean that your data cannot be stored in a database
> where the interface to the database is RM, but that the data model of
> the UI cannot be the RM.

Why unnormalizing the data ? Having it in a normal form would do magic.

> > In any event, I am certain that the "not possible" part of the above
> > statement
> > won't hold up, because the RM can model any concrete type, even if
> > restricted to 1NF.

> How would you model the user interface (not some database related to
> it) in the example given using a language that implements the RM?

You have not given the specifications for the user interface.

> > I'm not saying "convenient" necessarily, just
> > possible.

> Are you talking about adding list types to the RM?

Who said the RM and list types are mutually exclusive ? :-) Received on Fri Feb 10 2006 - 10:21:02 CET

Original text of this message