Re: Which are the best books for data structures and algorithms for database

From: Troels Arvin <troels_at_arvin.dk>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 08:01:30 +0100

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 09:27:53 -0800, wtxwtx_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I am interested in the data structures and algorithms specially designed
> for database, especially interested in the books that contain related
> algorithms used in the most commercial popular databases.

I haven't seen any books which focus on algorithms behind "commercial popular databases". Many database books have good coverage of things like b-trees, and other indexing methods; e.g., the following book covers basic indexing:
http://www-db.stanford.edu/~ullman/dscb.html

The following book focuses on performance in different commercial DBMSes, and you may find it relevant:
http://books.elsevier.com/mk/default.asp?isbn=1558607536

Database algorithmics is often synonymous with "external memory" algorithmics; and for that subject, I suggest that you have a look at these URLs:

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~large/Paperpages/dshandbook02.htm
http://www.it-c.dk/people/pagh/papers/external.pdf
http://www.scs.carleton.ca/~maheshwa/papers/cocoon-extsp-1999.ps

--