Re: Reminder, blatant ad

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 06:41:50 GMT

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote

> > When we built Muddle (aka MDL) we implemented arrays and lists for
almost
> > precisely the reason you and Marshall have outlined here. If you have
> > lists, you need arays for direct access, when things get big. If you
have
> > arrays, you need lists when
> > splicing in a new item is cheaper than shuffling everything to one side.
> >
> > So we built both.
>
> Just so I understand precisely, what is the user interface in working
> with arrays compared to lists? With these lists are you unable to
> directly access the n'th entry in the list (list[n], for example)?

Oops, my bad. I was thinking here of "lists" as used in lisp, not as probably intended in this discussion. The mention of "car", "cdr", and "cons" elsewhere in the discussion put me in the lisp context. Received on Mon Feb 06 2006 - 07:41:50 CET

Original text of this message