Re: XQuery (and XML) vs LISP

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 4 Feb 2006 18:58:46 -0800

Christopher Browne wrote:
> > Jan Hidders wrote:
> > I have no candidate in mind for a framework for comparing the
> > expressive power of tree querying or tree rewriting
> > languages. Sigh. The situation is so much clearer and cleaner with
> > relations.
>
> The trouble is that relations require taking something of a "set"
> perspective, and if facts aren't being expressed that way naturally,
> well, down that road lies some ghastlyness :-).

Given that the over the last century virtually all of mathematics (mereology aside) has been recontextualised in terms of the "set" perspective, I'd be mighty impressed if you could find a fact that doesn't do so naturally too. Received on Sun Feb 05 2006 - 03:58:46 CET

Original text of this message