Re: Definitions of Software and Database

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Feb 2006 16:05:56 -0800

Bob Hairgrove wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2006 10:05:46 -0800, "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I thought I would start a new thread since the other was quite OT. x
> >said there was likely a legal definition of software and I haven't
> >searched for that yet, but I did find a legal def of database at
> >http://dataright.haifa.ac.il/db-definition.htm
>
> Legal according to what body of law?
>
> >"'database' shall mean a collection of independent works, data or
> >other materials arranged in a systematic or methodical way and
> >individually accessible by electronic or other means."
>
> IANAL, but I question this definition because it is too catch-all for
> me. What are "other means"? Let's stick to computers, please ...
> otherwise, I'd have to accept the definition of the local public
> library, anno 1952, with no computer and all its books published on
> paper and bound in some heavy paper, cardboard or leather as a
> "database"...managed by a stack of filing cards stored in lots of
> wooden trays in cabinets located somewhere in a central area of the
> main reading room.
>
> For someone interested in intellectual property litigation, that
> definition might be useful. But for most of us here, mostly database
> programmers or DBA's, I think we need to make a distinction. However,
> I will admit that new methods of data storage and retrieval make such
> definitions pretty much a moving target, and this IMHO is just to
> cover all the bases.
>
> >By this definition, would "software" be a database? It might be
> >interesting to see how legal def of software and database differ from
> >each other and from country to country.
>
> Perhaps, but let's try to answer this question by asking another
> question: aren't ALL databases software? I think most of us here would
> say yes. And software is something special to computers, at least for
> all intents and purposes.

Yes, I agree.

> And another question: Was there software before databases? Again, I
> think most people here would agree that databases, as we know them,
> are a very specific application of software, albeit rich in variety
> ... but there is certainly software out there which isn't database
> software (e.g., Microsoft Access? <g,d,rlh> ... I'm sure there are
> other examples, though ...)
>
> >Anyway, to get this particular thread started, my question is: What is
> >a precise definition fof the term "software" when used in the phrase
> >"software developer" and (how) does software relate to databases?
> >--dawn
>
> If you will give me three reasons why I should believe that you are
> not a troll, I will continue.

I've been on cdt for a couple of years, Bob, and I am not a troll. I have been studying the relational model and have worked with hierarchical, relational, and MultiValue (di-graphs of trees, if you like) databases in my career. You can read my blog at http://www.tincat-group.com/mewsings Cheers! --dawn