Re: all foreign key should have index?

From: Murdoc <murdoc_0_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:51:52 +0000 (UTC)

Christopher Browne wrote:

> > Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> the >> > index for this field value?".

> >> That is not the point. Why does it have to be an INDEX?
> >>
> >> You have been assuming that an index is the only way. It is not.
> >
> > Then what is the other way? What other mechanism allows efficient
> > searching of a table without a full search?
>
> Sometimes, if the table is fairly small, a full search is in fact the
> fastest method.  Pointedly, if the table is likely to fit in one page,
> then a full search guarantees finding the result with one disk access.
> In comparison, any index-like indirection would require two disk
> accesses, and therefore be more expensive than full search.  Indeed,
> the result of that is that full scan is "probably optimal" if the
> table fits into two pages of disk.

In my experience, any table that is that small is rarely the subject of a FK search. It is usually the FK in the larger tables that requires an index.

> Some people assume that "index" is synonymous with "B-tree";

An index is just a mechanism to locate one or more records quickly.

> there are
> other data structures that they may not believe should be called an
> "index."  Pointedly, hashing is a sometimes-efficient mechanism for
> searching for data.  (It tends to seem less attractive when applied to
> disk-based structures than it is for in-memory data, but that's noth
> particularly relevant here...)

And I am not one of these people. Indexes can be created with any data structure in mind. A developer/database designer may even decide to create their own index using database tables (something that we had to do).