Re: 3vl 2vl and NULL

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ucantrade.com.NOTHERE>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:58:26 -0800

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 07:41:25 GMT, Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com> wrote:

[snip]

>I have only one first hand observation - a financial accounting system
>that could not accurately compute simple interest on a call balance. It
>used to drive the accountants absolutely nuts but the Pickies couldn't
>and wouldn't find a way to correct it - in their minds it was only a few
>cents here and there - never more than $1.00 per annum so why the big
>fuss? Why spend lots of time and money hacking the system for a few $
>when they couldn't be sure what else they would bust re-engineering the
>accrual mechanism. Eventually the Treasurer got jack of their attitude
>and bought an external package solution that was SQL based so he didn't
>have to keep explaining to the board why the organisation routinely got
>slagged by its somewhat captive customers about its capacity to
>calculate simple interest. Some of the Pickies subsequently got a
>Darwin award for their troubles!

     That sort of attitude is all over. Part of it might be an overcomplicated system that no one really understands. IME, systems get more complicated over time, rarely less so.

     How did the Darwin Award come about?

[snip]

>Say an operator of the model incorrectly changed a Persons Rank from
>"First Officer" to "Captain" and they did not rectify the error for
>several days.

     "First Officer" is not a rank; it is a position.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko Received on Thu Feb 02 2006 - 11:58:26 CST