Re: Reminder, blatant ad

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2006 08:04:29 -0800

x wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > x wrote:
>
> > > No because entry is not developing :-)
> > > The one that do software entry are called software developers ?
> > >
> > > To distinguish data from software you can say that the software provide
> > > function and data does not. The data is processed.
>
> > The software might just be sitting there, processing nothing at any
> > given point. Is it then data and NOT software?
>
> It is both software and data.
>

> > Derived data would
> > certainly then be software. What data is not derived from bytes? There
> > is nothing without functions except an unaccessed disk.
>
> What kind of function ?
> The point is that software is the part that is usually replaced/altered for
> changing the function of the whole system.
>
> Think about those old computers programable by changing the wiring.
> The wires are hardware, but the wiring scheme is software.

Ah, now that is a different spin on it. How would you license and deliver this software?

> When you store this wiring scheme in the computer, it is data.
>
> Do you consider the UML diagram is software ?

No. If it is part of a round-trip with a programming language, then it is a representation of the software just as the source code is. Otherwise it might be part of the design documents or specification of the software. I still don't have a def of s/w that I like, however. --dawn Received on Thu Feb 02 2006 - 17:04:29 CET

Original text of this message