Re: 3vl 2vl and NULL

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2006 17:48:27 -0800

I checked and, yes, this is a typical SQL problem that is rare in the MV world. Can you point me to some entries at http://www.thedailywtf.com/ that talk about project failures with MV/Pick systems? I can certainly think of incidents and project failures with attempts to combine Pick and SQL, but would like to read some anecdotes about major project failures where no SQL was in the mix.

> > However, then folks will argue that you pay the price down the road in
> > MV (which I do not see to be the case). Measurements would need to
> > measure the total cost of developing and maintaining systems, but also
> > some measure to ensure the systems are effective for the users.

> Yup - but IT isn't about waiting around for epidemiological studies to
> complete.
>

> > I'll go out on a limb and say that it is unlikely that a development
> > team working with a SQL-DBMS tool would end up writing the same system
> > from the user perspective as a team working with an MV system. The
> > data modelers for the SQL-DBMS tool will work to avoid multivalues so
> > they don't have to form new tables for short lists that don't seem too
> > important, for example. I've seen more FormerNames fields in MV
> > systems, collecting all former names as they become such in cases where
> > it would not be warrented in a SQL-DBMS system -- a single-valued
> > "Maiden Name" attribute (or whatever is deemed politically correct now)
> > is more likely.
>

> Interestingly your example would be a non-event if support for the "time
> varying" (temporal) aspect of Codds laws were provided in the various
> main stream SQL implementations.

Yes, and I'll grant that it might be a better approach than the one-at-a-time, pick and choose fields about which to keep a history. However, the "current value on top" pattern is used repeated in Pick and works well for end-users.

> I guess temporality will never become
> integral in the non RM space, and at the current rate of progress in RM
> research not in the SQL standard very soon to boot!

I don't think that any future SQL standards are likely to be very relevant, do you? --dawn