Re: 3vl 2vl and NULL

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 01:11:32 GMT

[Quoted] >>dawn wrote:
> [...]

[....]

>>>Now that has GOT to be tough to measure.
>>
>>Perhaps so - the fact that it is feasible at all is reassuring!

> How do you know this to be a fact?

[Quoted] Allowing for Nietzsche et al existentialist risk in my assessment - simply because they keep loading me up with new work after I complete each assigned task.

[Quoted] >>>>After factoring in a life cycle and

>>>I've worked with plenty of systems that are not based on the RM with
>>>code > 20 years old and counting.  So, this measurement, too, could be
>>>difficult to quantify.  I've looked at possibilities for what might be
>>>quantifiable and nothing looks very straight-forward.  I know I don't
>>>have emperical data related to bang for the buck or any other metric
>>>for non-SQL or non-RDBMS compared to SQL-DBMS's, but I sure have seen a
>>>lot of claims about how the RM has been shown to be superior to all
>>>other models.  You just claimed that there were measureable gains with
>>>the RM.  I'm just wondering what these measurements are and how I can
>>>duplicate whatever experiment these come from.
>>
>>In the strictest sense there prolly isn't any. Nobody in IT conducts
>>blind trials or uses statistical methods to assess outcomes - about the
>>only quotable statistics seems to be the project failure rate exceeds 50%!

> This is where there could be some measurement. My hunch is that there
> are fewer project failures in the MV world than in the SQL-DBMS world.

[Quoted] The WTF presentations suggest otherwise, although as Murphys Law would have it todays gem is SQL related!

> However, then folks will argue that you pay the price down the road in
> MV (which I do not see to be the case). Measurements would need to
> measure the total cost of developing and maintaining systems, but also
[Quoted] > some measure to ensure the systems are effective for the users.

[Quoted] Yup - but IT isn't about waiting around for epidemiological studies to complete.

> I'll go out on a limb and say that it is unlikely that a development
> team working with a SQL-DBMS tool would end up writing the same system
> from the user perspective as a team working with an MV system. The
> data modelers for the SQL-DBMS tool will work to avoid multivalues so
> they don't have to form new tables for short lists that don't seem too
> important, for example. I've seen more FormerNames fields in MV
> systems, collecting all former names as they become such in cases where
> it would not be warrented in a SQL-DBMS system -- a single-valued [Quoted]
> "Maiden Name" attribute (or whatever is deemed politically correct now)
> is more likely.

[Quoted] Interestingly your example would be a non-event if support for the "time varying" (temporal) aspect of Codds laws were provided in the various [Quoted] main stream SQL implementations. I guess temporality will never become integral in the non RM space, and at the current rate of progress in RM research not in the SQL standard very soon to boot!

[..]

Cheers, Frank. Received on Wed Feb 01 2006 - 02:11:32 CET

Original text of this message