Re: Reminder, blatant ad

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:31:21 +0200

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1138642417.446297.171130_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> x wrote:
> > "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > The ones that come with any general purpose programming language.
> > Can you make a list or a set with them and post it ?

> That would take a smarter man than I. I'd be fine with the java.lang
> libraries. They are well documented. ;-)

I don't use java but I'll look.
Are you talking about abstract collections ? http://webkemper1.informatik.tu-muenchen.de:8080/interna/oracle10g/doc/appdev.101/b10799/adobjcol.htm http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/docs/oracle/10g/appdev.101/b10807/05_colls.htm

http://www.lc.leidenuniv.nl/awcourse/oracle/appdev.920/a96595/dci01wht.htm

You might want to look at
http://gadfly.sourceforge.net/gadfly.html#architecture

> > > I'm good with programming languages as a "stopping point" building up
> > > from there to higher levels with libraries of code.
> >
> > Well, the programmig languages are many. :-)
> > What programming languages are you refering to ?
> > The future ones ?

> I'm very flexible that way, which means to me that I'm a bit of a
> peasant in that regard. I like functional and OO languages, but once
> upon a time I adored procedural languages too and can tolerate
> declarative languages.

All these languages you talk about use the same model of data ?

> > > Again, I'm good with programming languages and libraries thereof.
> >
> > A variable SET of variable LISTs of symbols and a variable SET of
variable
> > LISTs of substitution rules LISTed in some order is what you propose ?
> > Or the other way around ?

> What works for me is what I would call a di-graph of trees (a tree on
> each node of the graph). You can see an example of this with html (or
> xhtml) pages. You have a DOM tree (web page) on each node of a
> di-graph (web). That is, effectively, what Pick is too, although the
> tree doesn't go as many levels deep as the DOM.

I didn't know this is what Pick is.
What are the operators that Pick provides for this model ?

Why not a di-graph of di-graphs ?

> > Can you make such a thing declarative (specifying the data, not the
process
> > of getting the data) ?

> I can tell that you will love (and perhaps dislike) my next blog.

I can do both and vice versa at the same time.

> While I can understand the advantage to an exclusively declarative
> language, I like verbs too. In the end, computer software is going to
> process data. Making process fixed, but reusable (in the form of DBMS
> tools) while the data patterns have to be perhaps overly clever (to
> accomodate the declarative language constraints) and be coded fresh
> each time, doesn't strike me as particularly fine.

> If we had gone another route and made reusable data entities such as
> Person, Address, Product, Order, etc building up to vertical industry
> models with developers preparing the processes, would our profession
> look different? Don't get me wrong, I think declarative languages are
> important in the mix and have some benefits, but I am not fixed on that
> as the ultimate goal.

Do you have something similar to this in mind ? http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/docs/oracle/10g/appdev.101/b10807/12_tune.htm#i52954

You might want to look at
https://dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr/doc/oracle/appdev.102/b14288/exprn_expconcepts.htm http://htmldb.oracle.com/i/doc/intro.htm Received on Tue Jan 31 2006 - 11:31:21 CET