Re: Reminder, blatant ad

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:45:30 +0100

dawn wrote:
> x wrote:

[snip]

>>Do you think that CD-ROMs are hardware/software ?

> That is where I don't know how to clearly define the difference. Is an
> mp3 on a CD ROM software? If we want to split off data from software,
> then it is data, but useless without something that translates the data
> to music, for example.

I may have 2 eurocents to throw in.

You can kick the CD, so that's hardware.

The layout and depth of the physical tracks is standardized so strictly that if a CD-ROM reader/writer doesn't comply your recordings are completely worthless on other reader/writers. Firmware.

The filesystem is pretty much standardized - slight incompatabilities do occur, though. Though it can be faked on other media, the filesystem was designed for CDs. Firmware, but less firm.

The mp3 format can and does occur on any other type of filesystem, so pure software.

What of the mp3 is data? Not the algorithm to pull the signal out of it - that's software.
The interpreted signal (a sequence of relative amplitudes) - however distorted - is data, as are the compression ratio, the duration of the tracks at normal speed playback and some information about the recording.

>>The instructions on how to build a chair are software ?

When it is in a form suitable for CAM it is.