Re: Reminder, blatant ad

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2006 05:25:15 -0800

x wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I still agree with myself on this one
> >
> > > Perhaps we need to define
> > >
> > > That definition would of course aso include the "end user" who only
> > > punches data into a shrink-wrapped software package. In my view, a
> > > "developer" should be one who is making software.

> > That is my view as well and I see where my definitions are not tight
> > enough to make that clear. If someone is using software, providing
> > input or using output, but not developing any functions, then I guess I
> > would say they are not developing software. However, if that input is
> > in the form of specs... (e.g. the user type in a bunch of xml documents
> > and dtds and then clicks a button to generate an application), then
> > what?
>

> > Anyway, I'm good with saying that a developer is someone developing
> > software, I'm not as happy with the definiion of software. What is a
> > nice crisp definition of software?
>
> Do you think of a virtual machine as software or hardware ?

software

> Software = ware that can be easily changed and provide a function only when
> used with some hardware.

It would be great if software could be defined as being easy to change, but I don't think that can be part of the definition.

> Hardware= ware that is hard to change and provide a function only when used
> with some software.
> The soft or hard quality is relative.

A feature could be in hardware or software, if that is what you mean by relative. I don't really like your definitions however. Hardware is hard bz you can kick it, not because it is hard to change. But not everything you can kick is hardware.

Hardware: All components of a computer that can be kicked Software: All components of a computer that cannot be kicked

??

> For example the mathematics is hardware ;-)

Mathematics is everywhere, in both hardware and software. Cheerss! --dawn Received on Mon Jan 30 2006 - 14:25:15 CET

Original text of this message