Re: candidate keys in abstract parent relations

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:43:40 GMT

"Forrest L Norvell" <spankysyourpal_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137705821.754921.280830_at_g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> Roy Hann wrote:
> > (Names are a bad example for us to use here because they are a poor key
> > anyway, but let's ignore that.)
>
> If names are a poor key, and candidate keys are tied to identity, what
> are good keys for a named entity (like a person)?

Funny you should ask. There aren't any good natural keys for a person. That is why we resort to artificial keys, like driver's license number, social security number, or passport number. The difference between an artificial key and a surrogate key is less substantive than most database people like to believe. Received on Fri Jan 20 2006 - 22:43:40 CET

Original text of this message