Re: candidate keys in abstract parent relations

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_sqlserverfaq.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:33:11 -0000

> Nobody here proposed looking at Industry Standards. Why do we like to
> re-invent the wheel? I know that Tony hates to research, follow
> Standards and all that other stuff that get in the way of a "agile/
> extreme/ cowboy coder" image -- and job security :). But why did Roy

How dare you, and continue to call me a cowboy and you'll find yourself in litigation; my professional experience, references and qualification speaks for itself and quite frankly I will not tollerate an arrogant, condesending and out of touch dated 'un-professional' like you even suggesting that.

I do research at the point I need it so my findings are completely up-to-date, I do not have a folder full of canned answers that are years old and completely out of date. If a client has a specific problem that I've not solved before I spend time before the consulting visit researching the current thinking, whats coming in the future - like any good consultant does.

People need only check your website links page (http://www.celko.com/resources.htm) to know that, half of them no longer work.

> updating, etc. when you can use IDENTITY mindlessly and effortlessly
> to mimick a pointer-based DBMS or "roll your own" encodings !

How is using an IDENTITY property (a sequence in ANSI 2003) any different from rolling your own sequence generator; you can still create check digits around the sequence if you so wish.

--
Tony Rogerson
SQL Server MVP