Re: Announcing New Blog

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2006 07:34:36 -0800

x wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > x wrote:
> > > "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Do you think "more expensive in real-dollars-in-my-budget" is an
> accurate
> > > measure for the value of an "SQL implementation" ?

> > It was the fact that I could see a difference in cost and perhaps more
> > directly, productivity, but only guess which of the many, many
> > variables contributed to this that prompted me to research further. I
> > studied mathematics and not computer science in school. My intuition
> > was that the SQL databases had prompted unnecessary costs in
> > information systems. I thought when I started looking at the theory
> > more, I would find that relational theory was good and SQL databases
> > had not followed the theory well.
>

> > I am not someone driven by dollars, but do like good stewardship of
> > resources. They are many ways to measure value. My interest is in
> > developer productivity over time, which relates directly to dollars for
> > many companies. Did that answer the question?
>

> I asked because usually you talk about "more bang for the bucks" which is
> not the same as "more expensive in real-dollars".
> You talk above about the cost of developing a solution not about the value
> of the solution.

Perhaps I need a different way of saying it because I am never using that term for the development of a system only. I am very concerned about developer productivity with ongoing maintenance of a system. So I am talking about the total cost of the solution. Since there is no obvious way to strip away everything but the data model and compare the cost of using the RM vs using something else, this is something about which I have only anecdotal information. So I've been working on gathering more compelling rationale for why this might be the case. --dawn Received on Thu Jan 19 2006 - 16:34:36 CET

Original text of this message